Aspiring Businesswomen Let Loose on Saturday Shoppers
Colbea’s first set of aspiring female entrepreneurs took to the streets on Saturday 8 April to test-trade their newly-formed businesses on Colchester High Street market.
The graduates of the first In the Market for Success (IM4S) course, run by the Colchester Business Enterprise Agency, were given a chance to promote their new businesses to a busy Colchester High Street full of Saturday shoppers.
Speaking about her day as a market trader, Rosie Hatt, of SNAS (Special Needs & Autism Specialist), (pictured far right) says, “The market day provided a great opportunity to be able to promote my new business with the support of Colbea. We found that the shoppers who stopped to chat were really interested in our businesses, which certainly was positive for me and the other ladies.”
Kate Cox, of Border Designs, (pictured second from right) adds, “Market day provides a real insight into selling your business. There are fun bits – meeting new people who are interested in what you do. There are hard bits – making that initial approach to a potential customer with the possibility of rejection. To be effective you have to try to maintain a positive face throughout, to appear equally friendly and energetic at the beginning of the day as at the end – you never know when your perfect customer might walk by.
“Market day showed me how much mental stamina you need to maintain that welcoming engaging attitude. I’ve sincere admiration for regular market traders who keep up the patter and the smile, every week, rain or shine.”
Visitors to the IM4S market stall discovered a diverse array of products on sale, including illustrated colouring books, restored furniture and make your own cosmetics.
Shoppers were also offered the chance to win a hamper full of goodies donated by the aspiring businesswomen in a free a prize draw, which was won by Emma Versey.
In the Market for Success is a complete start-up package available to women throughout Essex, funded by the Natwest Skills & Opportunities Fund. Each attendee is given access to over £2000 of support to help them get their business idea up and running.
The next free course will begin on 8 May 2017, Places are limited so please call 01206 548 833 to enquire about availability or click here to find out more and register for the next course! (Coming this summer)
Prizes for draw donated by;
- No Secrets Cosmetics Bath Bombs
- A Jen Thomas Photography photo frame + photo (complete with gift bag)
- Roses Easter Egg – donated by Special Needs + Autism Specialist (SNAS) (website not live at time of posting – 20.04.2017 – call 07400 226897)
- An illustrated Colouring Book by Shannon May Art, complete with set of colouring pencils (or a webstone voucher if book isn’t printed in time) – donated by Shannon May Hall
- Transition Nutrition Supplement Samples
- A Quest Upholstery Cushion
- Meadow for garden seed box from Border Designs
- A One-Hour Complimentary Family Photography Shoot with Sophie Skipper Photography